What You Need to Know to Prepare for Your Colonoscopy
At Canadian Place Endoscopy, we highly recommend that you undergo proper bowel preparation to ensure a safe and successful colonoscopy. You can download a copy of these instructions here.
Your colon needs to be completely empty for the doctor see the lining clearly. You will need to purchase an oral bowel cleanser well before your procedure (the name of the cleanser is BiPeglyte.) The Prep can be found at your local pharmacy or you can pick it up from Canadian Place Endoscopy. Failure to properly prepare will result in an incomplete colonoscopy and a repeat will be scheduled.
- Aspirin and Entrophen: 7 days before procedure
- Anti-inflammatory: 7 days before procedure
- Iron Pills: 7 days before procedure
- Clopidogrel (Plavix): 7 days before procedure
- Ticlopidine (Ticlid): 3 days before procedure
- Coumadin (Warfarin: 5 days before procedure (speak to your cardiologist before stopping) and get an INR test done the afternoon before your test. Have your lab fax us the results and do not schedule a Monday appointment.
- Take only HALF of your regular diabetic medication the day before the procedure. This includes oral medications and insulin.
- On the day of the procedure, DO NOT take your diabetic medication until after your procedure is completed and you have had something to eat. You may then return to your regular dose of diabetic medication.
- You must make an early morning appointment.
Take all other medications (not listed above) as regularly prescribed, with a small sip of water.
Two Days Before Procedure
- DO NOT eat any food containing seeds and nuts (such as breads, granola bars, etc.)
- DO NOT drink any alcohol
- Purchase your BOWEL PREP/cleanser
- Purchase clear non-red/blue colored drinks with electrolytes (i.e. Gatorade, juices such as apple, white grape, white cranberry or ginger ale). This will help avoid dehydration, faintness and dizziness.
One Day Before Procedure
- DO NOT EAT; clear fluids only
- Take only CLEAR fluids that include: water, juices such as apple, white grape, white cranberry, Gatorade (no red or blue juices). Black coffee or tea is fine without milk. Drink at least 4 liters of liquid throughout the day to help flush your bowel and keep you hydrated.
- Start the BOWEL PREP as per instructions attached to the email we will send you.
- Drink plenty of fluids until 4 hours before your procedure. Example: If your appointment is at 1 p.m., you must STOP drinking fluids at 9 a.m.
Day of Procedure
- STOP ALL DRINKING 4 hours before your procedure.
- Bring your filled-out questionnaire found on the patient form page.
- You will be with us for at least 2 hours, which includes admission, procedure and recovery.
- You will be able to resume a normal diet as per doctor’s instructions after the procedure; refer to your Post-procedure documents on the website and given at discharge.
- Remove all jewelry and nail polish.
- Do not bring any valuables that could become misplaced
- Wear comfortable clothing.
- Arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
- Bring a valid Ontario health card.
- Bring a driver or arrange for someone to pick you up after the procedure. (Please have your driver drop you off and return after 45 minutes. The waiting area can get crowded and cannot accommodate numerous patrons.) Parking is free at Canadian Place Endoscopy.