What You Need to Know to Prepare for Your Gastroscopy
At Canadian Place Endoscopy, we highly recommend that you undergo proper preparation to ensure a safe and successful gastroscopy.
The Day Before Your Procedure:
Breakfast: You may have a regular breakfast, just as you normally do.
Lunch: Have a light lunch, nothing heavy.
Dinner: Have a VERY light dinner.
Do not drink alcohol the day before your test (24 hours).
If you are on any of the following medications, you will need to stop taking them for a period of time. Please refer to the list below:
- Aspirin and Entrophen: 7 days before procedure
- Anti-inflammatory: 7 days before procedure
- Iron Pills: 7 days before procedure
- Clopidogrel (Plavix): 7 days before procedure
- Ticlopidine: 3 days before procedure
- Coumadin (Warfarin: 5 days before procedure (speak to your cardiologist before stopping) and get an INR test done the afternoon before your test. Have your lab fax us the results and do not schedule a Monday appointment.
Take all other medications (not listed above) as regularly prescribed, with a small sip of water.
Take only HALF of your regular diabetic medication the day before the procedure. This includes oral medications and insulin.
On the day of the procedure, DO NOT take your diabetic medication until after your procedure is completed and you have had something to eat. You may then return to your regular dose of diabetic medication.
You must make an early morning appointment.
- STOP eating and drinking all fluids 4 hours before the procedure
- Remove all jewelry and nail polish
- Arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment
- Bring a valid Ontario health card to the appointment.
- Please remember to bring your questionnaire found here.
- Bring a DRIVER with you or arrange to have someone pick you up after the procedure.
* Please have your driver drop you off and return after 45 minutes, The waiting area can get busy and cannot accommodate numerous patronst.
- You should expect to be at the clinic for admission, procedure and recovery for at least 2 hours.
- Kindly do not bring any valuables with you that may become misplaced during your time with us.
- Please remember to fill out and bring in your Patient Questionnaire.